Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Speech to the Next Pink Panthers


Hello! As you all should well know, this week our topic is to write a speech that we'd like to give to our little sister class. I'm fairly certain that it will change between now and my junior, I still think that I have learned a lot since starting college.

Hello there littles. That’s so fun to say. My name is Allison and I'm a music education major. If you're coming in here anything like I did college has been a huge shock so far. It's a lot more work than you thought isn't it? I remember feeling completely overwhelmed my first big week of assignments, but you'll get through it. Also, the professors are a lot nicer than high school teachers said they would be. Since you're in a small college you'll get to know your professors pretty well and be a lot closer to them than you would elsewhere. The downside is that you have to actually be involved with your classes. Isn't that just terrible? Seriously though, it's a lot more fun than it seems right now. You'll get chances to do just about anything you want here. Just don't forget your reason for coming here in the first place. When you get frustrated just take some time to cool down and try again. I promise that all those assignments looming over your head aren’t nearly as difficult as you think. All you have to do is get settled into a routine and relax. As you get settled in you’ll learn what you professors expect of you and you’ll be better at handling your workload. The biggest thing is make sure that you do take some personal time, no matter what. If you neglect to take personal time and just work, work, work, you’ll go nuts. Trust me, I tried that for the first couple of weeks and it wasn’t pretty. Lastly, have fun! College is supposed to be a great time in your life. So go to some sports games, stay up late eating pizza and watching movies with your friends, and just be a college girl. You had to work hard to get here and you deserve to enjoy the benefits. Well, I guess that’s all I have to say. Good-bye!

2 comments:

  1. I like that this is less of a speech and more of a casual one-sided conversation. I also like the gentle sarcasm. I completely agree with your observation that college isn't nearly as bad as high school teachers made it out to be. I wonder if they did that on purpose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good, Allison. It's always interesting for me to hear about how your high school perceptions of college are different from the reality of college. And I like that you remind your littles to take a bit of time and not burn out. You may need to go back and read this yourself later in the semester!

    Lastly, do remember to proofread. Your second sentence is a bit funky.

    ReplyDelete