Sunday, October 14, 2012

What I want to do when I grow up

Hello everyone. This weeks topic is about what I want to do with my life. As a new college student have have heard this question a lot. I've thought about it, studied about it, prayed about it, and I think i know what I want to do. I want to be a high school band director. Now I know this probably seems weird to a lot of you. Why on earth would anyone want to try and teach a bunch of moody teenagers about music? When I first started high school this isn't what I wanted to do. I was in marching band all throughout high school, but honestly I was just there to be with my friends, to build up social skills. That all changed when I went to BOA. BOA stands for bands of America. It's a national marching bands competition. All the best bands in the country compete there. My junior year my band got the oppurtunity to compete. We didn't do very well, but we all agreed it was still the best competition we had ever been to. I heard and saw things I had never dreamed of. One thing I'll never forget was how one of the AAAAA bands did a Wizard of Oz show. They sounded beautiful. At the end they all rode out of the stadium on matching red bicycles, while playing. I don't know how they did it, but ot was amazing. I decided I had to come back. I decided that one day I would become a band director and bring my band to compete, maybe even win. That's a dream of mine. Of course, I have my doubts, especially after my first week as a music major. Even if I don't end up as a band director, I still want to go. Well, that's enough sappy talk out of me. Good-bye.

4 comments:

  1. A good dream, Allison. We need more strong women as band directors in this state, and I hope you add yourself to the roll!

    On your blogs, do be sure to answer the entire question. This one was a multi-parter, I know, but part of the question was to talk about what you need to be doing now and in the near future to work towards your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanting to be a band director isn't weird at all! I've been really conflicted on whether I wanted to go the vocal or instrumental track in music education. One of the big pulls for instrumental for me is marching band. I love seeing student's show their abilities on the field because what they're doing is amazing and not many people understand just how amazing it is. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, it's really neat that you've prayed about what you want do with your life. I know we joke about band directors being weird, but actuality they're pretty amazing people. They know a lot about music, from knowing how all of them work to keeping lots of students, instruments, and music organized! I'm sure you'll be successful as long as you follow as the Lord leads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Katie and Lydia that being a band director is awesome. I have to say that I admire band directors because it takes a lot of work. Even at the high school level you would need to know how to play all the instruments and be able to have the courage and confidence and ability to make the kids understand what they are playing and teach them how to play it. :]

    ReplyDelete